Serving as a councillor on any parish or town council is controlled by the rules and regulations laid out in the Local Government Act 1972 (LGA 1972).
Loggerheads Parish Council has capacity for 19 serving councillors, and elections are held every four years. Seats remaining vacant at this time can be filled by co-option, subject to the correct procedures being followed. Between elections further vacancies arising can also be filled by co-option, providing each vacancy is duly notified and nominations invited.
Broadly speaking, anyone who has a desire to serve the community can become a Councillor. Appointment is subject to the qualifying criteria being met: –
A candidate must be:
- A British or Commonwealth citizen
- At least 18 years of age
- A local government elector for the area of the authority, or for during the preceding 12 months, lived in the parish or within 3 miles of the parish, have owned or occupied land in the parish, or worked in the parish.
A candidate cannot:
- Hold paid office or employment within the council
- Be subject to a bankruptcy restriction order or interim order
- Have been within the last five years convicted of any offence and sentenced to imprisonment for more than three months
Relevant skills are:
- Good listening skills
- Good decision-making skills
- Good local knowledge
More information about becoming a Parish Councillor and the scope of duties and responsibilities of office can be found in “Then Good Councillors Guide” available for download at www.nalc.gov.uk
Applying to fill a casual vacancy
In the event of a casual vacancy having arisen, this is notified to, and advertised by both the Borough and Parish Councils. Registered electors are given 14 days from the date of the notice to request an election if ten registered electors sign for an election to be called. Where a casual vacancy does not get called for election, the vacant seat can be filled by co-option to the Parish Council provided that an individual meets the qualifying criteria listed above.
Anyone wishing to be considered for co-option onto the council please apply in writing, with a brief CV to:
The Clerk to Loggerheads Parish Council
Loggerheads Community Fire Station
Market Drayton Road
Applying to join the council at election time
Administration of formal elections is undertaken by Newcastle under Lyme Borough Council.
If you want to stand you can obtain the necessary forms from:
The Returning Officer
Newcastle under Lyme